Saturday, February 13, 2010

hard days night.

Work was weird. For the most part good, but a little emotionally draining and had an ethical dilemma or two. I was working in adult psychiatry today on my favorite adult unit. I was on constant with a nice autistic boy, we played with puzzles and he watched me draw pictures of various animals ect ect.. While he was taking his bath i turned around to see about 12 men running onto the unit.. i missed my first 12 person take down aw. There was a new admin. at about 1 am in the morning and i guess she had been giving everyone problems. meeeh... so i put my little friend to bed and i was free to work on the rest of the unit. Around 10 30 or so this tall, skinny, and very distressed looking woman comes walking down the hall yelling to see the person in charge and was threatening to call the police and tell global news about how terribly the hospital was treating her and keeping her against her own will. The first person to get to her was this FAT LAZY OLD AIDE who had been reading a book all fucking night, and of course he wasn't doing her any good just saying that everyone was in report and that he had already taken the phones away. fucking BASTARD. I decided to take over because his fat useless self wasn't doing much good. i calmly told her that we will go to her room and talk. She was on room restriction and put into a side room with only a strong sheet and a mattress, i didn't feel threatened by her because i had managed to some what calm her down and brought her back into her room so i sat down on the mattress with her, i didn't want to be talking to her and looming over her. I introduced myself and i asked her when she was brought into the hospital and what she had done to be brought in...she was calming down at this point and began explaining everything to me when an older man entered the room, he seemed polite and i figured it was the doctor so i got up, there was already all the staff standing at the door with gloves on and ready to give her an injection. I could tell her anxiety level was going through the roof now. I mean how could you blame her? Anyways she lost her cool and so did the doctor and he gave the word and she was forced into lock down. They locked the door and everyone walked off and the FAT BASTARD said something that really pissed me off but i forget now. i couldn't take it. I had her calmed down i had her in her room why the fuck did they do that? i went into the bathroom and cried like a sissy. After i came out and decided to talk to a very nice older nurse on the unit to tell her my concerns about the whole situation. She gave me some good advice and some insight into this patient, I know she isn't stable but i still wanted to give her a chance. Some time later the Doctor actually came up to me and apologized, and said that i was handling the situation. after he left the nurse who i had talked to turned around and said that was a big thing. First year nurse and i already have the doctors telling me they are wrong. I win.

No comments:

Post a Comment